Saturday, September 27, 2008

How do you think a dam (empangan) looks like? A place with lotsa water and a wall nearby? That's what I thought too. Till I went on a family holiday last monday to wednessday to this place called the Tasik Temenggor Discovery Island. It's basically a resort somewhere in the dam surrounded by nature, eg trees, endangered animals and tonnes of insects.
It is indeed a beautiful place, for those who appreciate nature and a simple place devoid of air cond, television ....basically your cut off from the world outside to just enjoy God's wonderful creation. Really, once you reach the jetty in Grik, Perak; you still need to take a half and hour ferry ride to the resort. That is how deep inside the dam the place is. And all through the journey you see nothing but vast waters, and luscious green jungle islands. There's so many of this small islands if one were to venture out alone, you'll probably get lost, cos they all look alike.

In the boat house, with my dad watching my sister throw darts and in the background, the other couple that went there the same time we went. So basically we ate with them and hanged out with them when we weren't doing any activity la.
P/s: see the red dart flying?...yeay! I finally managed to capture that with my dslr after many tries. =P

And since we were a small group...9 guest only (7 fr my family and 2 the other couple), we got plenty of attention from the owner, Mr Steve Leong. Really good food, his-own-recipe sauce for BBQed potato, which he says he'll only give us on our 3rd time to the place; and the first ever group of guest to use his new dining area! He even ate with us on our last night.

View from the dining area around 7 something at night. I made them stand there for 3.2 seconds. Hehe, but worth it don't you think? At first my dad was like "what?? No point lar, won't be clear wan"...but he agreed with me at the end Haha. A bit blur la, but I'm not pro ma, plus we didn't use a tripod, cos.......i didn't think of it?
If you're expecting a nice little room with nice beds and a nice toilet like those 4 or 5 star hotels, think again. Remember the key word.....N.A.T.U.R.E

Us in our chalets, which fits only 3 ppl. The outdoor toilet, with mountain water and no heater. Freeeeeeezing!!!
We went jungle trekking there, the guide saw the herd of elephants and made us all faster trek down to safety again...sigh..we were pretty near the top di!! My younger bro and sis heard the elephants too. On another trail we saw the rafflesia buds. The guide said "come back again la in 2 weeks time, it should open then"! Too bad no photos of those. My dad was holding the camera.
Kayaking was the best thing there, so my brothers say. Made my arms so tired, I think I did enough exercise for the week during the trip.


The owner personally carved out the fishes and all in the wall. The walls and all were made mostly of wood, trees and stones. The whole place really has the owner’s touch, you’ll know he’s a nature lover just by looking at the place.


the boat house from the dining area/ house.
All in all, a different kind of holiday!! I enjoyed it all except for the insects. Me and my brother's chalets were infested with carnivorous ants on the 2nd day. They ate their dead fellow insects.....yerrrrr.

No comments: